How to Start Your Information Security Career?

• You can also begin actively networking by joining a local chapter of a computer security association such as the Information Systems Security Association and by participating in activities such as forums and conferences. Many of these organizations also promote study groups to help members earn their security certification. This will bring up another dilemma frequently discussed among Infosec Professionals: Will a certificate grant me a job? My personal answer to that one is no, but the trick I learnt was:  If you absorb the information studied to achieve the certification rather than just memorizing it for the test,  you get a head start when pursuing the first Information Security job and demonstrates that you’re a self-learner and proactive professional, two qualities very appreciated by organizations nowadays.
  • Another way to begin an information security career is to start your own security consulting firm. This is the route many former self taught hackers/crackers have taken after they’ve established that they have the skill set to do computer security. Even being convicted of a crime is not a bar (sometimes it even boosts your career ;-)) to getting an information security job , since many of those who have served jail time have successfully gone straight and rehabilitated themselves, going on to become successful security consultants. Free-lance IT security professionals, in particular, should expect to see job growth, since many companies are trimming down their IT costs by outsourcing their computer security needs.

Once you’ve established that you have the qualifications for an information security career, you can begin looking for positions online (My Infosec Job is here for you! 🙂 ). In my case, being an Information Security Professional with experience plus certifications opened some doors abroad, and that’s definitely achievable if you plan. If you don’t want to relocate, you may be able to find jobs locally by networking through your contacts in the security association that you have joined.

I would appreciate to hear your comments and experiences in the topic!

Good luck!

Adriano Dias Leite

PS: Although using the words “Information Security”, the same rules apply when searching for IT Security, Compliance and Risk Management jobs.

Pages: 1 2

Filed Under: ArticlesCertificationsFeaturedFrom me to youFront PageJob MarketMy careerNews

1. A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I
    believe that you should publish more about this topic, it might not be a taboo
    matter but usually people do not discuss these issues. To the next!
    Many thanks!!

2. Marcos Paulo says:

Are you Brazilian guy? That’s cool! I am also, I’m 19, and I’m starting my course in computer science now … Anyway, I enjoyed your article, I am also looking to expand my world view, to facilitate my learning ..

Big hug, Adriano!

3. Marcos Paulo says:

Vc é brasileiro cara? Que legal! Eu tbm sou, tenho 19 anos, e estou começando meu curso de Ciências da Computação agora… Enfim, gostei muito do seu artigo, estou buscando também ampliar a minha visão de mundo, para facilitar no meu aprendizado..

Grande abraço, Adriano!

4. Mohammed Zubair says:

Hello,I’m MCA Second year student and I’d Like to do in information Security field in IT industry.
    Plz suggest me any course related to this and if possible send mail.

5. Ashraf says:

Hi Adriano,

i am working as security system admin, in an indian company , i have abt 5yr of experience in networking,security,and little bit in system admin.

i have done Cisco ccnp security certification,and willing to learn infosec,so that i can have dual specialization network security and information security.

Pls suggest me, how should i start in infosec.

Regards,
    Ashraf

6. divya says:

hai.im going to complete my b.tech(cse) this year and im interested in doing cyber security course.so what courses would you suggest me? what is the basic knowledge for cyber security?

7. Mukesh Buchiya says:

i am B.A. graduate. and doing LLB (Law), i want my career in Security Department. but i have not NCC ‘c’ certificate. how can i join security dept. please replay me. thank you.

8. Manav Pardeshi says:

I am in 12th grade and I want a career in cyber security so what courses would you suggest ? Thanks

• Mike says:

There are a number of options are you can consider. You can go to college, and major in Information Systems Security. All you have to do is Google colleges that offer Information Systems Security and the state you live in, and many results will come up. You just have to commit a few hours of researching which colleges have a course outline as to what classes you wish to take, and which you want to avoid. I am completing my degree online, and Information Systems Security is my major. I don’t recommend online colleges to those who are young, as online colleges are mostly for people who have a career and want to further education, those who are in a rush to a complete a degree by a deadline, and those who are actively serving in the military.

Hope this helps!

9. trisbox says:

hi i am currently working as a logical access admin which simply gives access to users to the system, will yo uconsider this as a it security job?

i am also planning to be an it security, and i dont have any background in it system and network administrator job, i wonder if it is a pre requisite to have a background experience in it sys and network job?

10. vatsal says:

can any security certification like EC-CEH get me an entry level job in this domain ?

11. Vineet says:

hi,
    I am working in retail industry from last 6 years but now i want to leave retail industry and want to make my career in information security. Please advise

12. Ram says:

13. What is the best IT Security training institute available right now ? Any suggestions .

Thanks

14. Ron Naidu says:

Hi Adriano,

Thank you, nicely written. I will look into your suggestions.

Ron.

15. satish says:

thanks for such a valuable information
    this is what exactly iam searching,
    iplanned to leave this field
    due to lack of right information
    thanks for giving me right direction
    i`ll put all my effort to become security cunsultant