Immigrating to Australia as an Information Security Professional – part 4 – Finding a Job

4. Use Linked In to network with local recruiters

Ok, that’s the first step to the beginning of the most valuable part of this post, the one worth a whole book. But I’ll tell you in a nutshell what I’ve done that landed me a job, step by step:

a) Sign up to linked in;

b) Create a comprehensive profile, recommend your friends and ask them to recommend you too. Be thorough when describing your experience, and list all your achievements throughout your career;

c) Once you have a respectable and trustworthy profile, you’re good to start the job hunting using this fabulous tool;

d) Search for recruiters in the country you’re planning to relocate (see picture below)

e) You’ll likely receive tens to hundreds of results, so this is where you either nail or doom it. DO NOT ADD ALL THESE PEOPLE TO YOUR LIST! Instead, come up with personalized messages using the trick I’ve taught you before. Present yourself through a message (not a friend request), explain your situation and your potential to get employed, mention the work permit you already got (did you?) and offer something that the recruiter might appreciate as well. For example, you can tell them that you can help them advertising some of their positions to your list of contacts in Australia. That’s just an example, but I’m sure you can come up with your own plan.

f) Ask them, in case they find it appropriate, whether you can send a connection request to enrich your both networks.

This is where I managed to get in touch with almost 20 respectable recruiters that were willing to have a chat with me and forward my resume to some of their customers for an interview. The last step is where we’ll wrap up our plan in gold:

6. A killer resume

In my case, I hired a specialized company to write a resume I’d never be able to write myself. Think of your organization: they usually outsource what they don’t do best, such as payroll, cleaning, etc. Do you know why? Because that’s not their business. You are a remarkable Information Security professional, but perhaps writing an effective resume aligned with current market trends and requirements won’t be an easy task. And let me be clear here: you’ve walked a long way with your plans of migrating to your dream country, the visa has been sorted out, and your savings are enough for you to sustain your situation in case of an emergency, and so on. Why would you spoil a chance of finding a job because your resume does not sell you well?

I’ve learnt this lesson the hard way, burning several opportunities with recruiters in Australia because although I’ve got a good experience, I was not able to put it down into words when writing my resume. Suddenly, after getting it prepared by a specialized company changed everything. I’m a living proof of its effectiveness. Once you manage to get connected to a recruiter, it’s YOUR obligation to present him with a sellable material of your career. He’ll read it just once, and if they doesn’t like what they see, ciao ciao.

If you don’t know where to get started for a resume rewriting, please click here to check the company I used to prepare mine. They offer a totally free review of your resume which might definitely help you spotting the shortcomings you have on your current resume. BTW, if you decide to use their services I’ll receive a small comission that helps me keep this website alive.

So just to wrap up everything I’ve said throughout the past couple of weeks, moving abroad requires more than a will; it requires a huge investment of your time, money and compromise so to make you get what you’ve dreaming of. It took me more than 2 years from the starting point to being here and writing this article, but I can tell you with all the conviction of someone that has gone through it:

IT WAS WORTH EVERY MOMENT.

Adriano Dias Leite

Pages: 1 2 3

Filed Under: ArticlesFrom me to youJob MarketMy career

1. Manisha says:

Hi Adriano,

I am also information security professional having CEH and GWAPT as certification. I was involved in web application security testing. I am not able to get the right ACS occupation list. Which one would you suggest ?

Thanks,
    Manisha

2. praveen joshi says:

wow…man!!!
    what a awhsome experience you have shared. thankyou very much for this wonderful explaination.
    your blog has inspired me so much…..it feels like i got lot of work to do.

Brother may god bless you for showing a career path to hundred of people like me…

Regards,
    Praveen Joshi

3. Etha says:

Hi Adriano,

Excellent post from a info sec Guru 🙂 i am planning to relocate in UK and as you have experience working there, will you please suggest how can I use linkedin to get an info-sec consulting job. I passed CISA and applied for certification last night 🙂 CEH is next I am targetting. As per current tier-2 recuirements, it need a job offer and sponsorship both to get PR apart from other requirement. Going to start IELTS from today ( very inspired by you article I believe ;)) (may I add you in Linkedin please?). Please suggest me how can I achieve this goal. Thanks and best regards.

4. Sandeep Saini says:

Hi Adriano,

I appropriate the efforts you put in place to make people understand about the Information Security Job market in AUS.

I am very much impressed with all your articles & personally want to thank you for the same.

I really want to immigrate to AUS but fears due to the future unemployment.

Kindly guide me when I really need to start & where exactly.

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeep Saini

5. Ashish says:

Hi Adriano,

I have just started thinking about relocating to Australia. Actually, I went through the Australian immigration site as well anmd was left absolutely confused at the end of it.

However, once i went through your article, a lot of that confusion just melted away.

The work that you have put in to help people like us is definitely commendable. Much appreciated.

Like i said earlier, i am also thinking of relocating to Australia soon; but i do not have a CISSP. However i do have a CISA, CISM, 27001 Lead Auditor cert, BS25999 Lead Auditor cert, ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Cert, ISO 20000 Lead Auditor cert, etc. Do you think i have a good enough chance to make it in Aus?

Cheers

6. Eder says:

Hello Adriano,

Soon, I will be in the same situation as Allan (an IT Security Analyst studying in Australia and able to work only part time).
    Have you heard of anybody in that situation who has managed to get a part time job in the IT area?

Regards,

Eder

7. Allan says:

Hi Adriano,
    I really enjoy reading your posts, Im also a brazilian willing to immigrate to australia.

Now Im studing for a Masters in IT at University of Sydney. I have a student visa that allows me work part time (and full time on holidays). So was planning to find a part time job during my studies and at the end of the course try to convert it in a full time job (and that could sponsor my visa).

I worked as a security analyst for 1 year in brazil before coming to sydney but I have more experience with linux. Using your experience, do you think it is feasible work part time with linux in sydney? I dont see many part time job positions, should I apply for full time positions and explain that I am a student? Do I need ACS recognizement for that?

Thanks in advance!
    Abracos,
    Allan.

8. Eduardo C says:

Hi Adriano, thank you very much to share this invaluable information and so on the time you spent to published it.
    For me it´s very usefull information because I am planning to move on to Australia and find a job as a security consultant. I am working on to prepare all.

Again thank you very much.

Eduardo C
    Mexico City.

9. Mohsin says:

Hi Adriano,

I am a regular follower of your posts. After reading this one, though not very much useful for me right now, I could not resist more to appreciate the good work you are doing, and I thank you for this. Godspeed.

Mohsin

10. pooja says:

hi

I had a query abt the character check if we have been in more than one country like usa, switzerland how do we do that

11. Haitham Saad says:

Dear Adriano,

I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful article that i really liked, It was Great and full of useful information and you really know how to write an interesting article
    thank you again.
    Best regards

12. Fadi Shalhoub says:

Hi Adriano,
    Thank you for this very informative article.
    I find myself in a similar situation since I have acquired an Australian Resident Visa and I am an information security professional relocating to Australia Sydney in particular.
    I have basically covered all the steps you mentioned and currently I am searching for a job as an information security consultant or lead in Sydney.
    Can you provide me with any pointers or help on where/how should I start searching and what works since obviously you were able to find a job quickly.

Thank you.